Climate change is hapening, fast and every day, and it is a proven fact. There are many changes global warming has caused tot the planet. In fact, the most terryifying are rising of the sea leves, extreme weather events, deforestation, disappearance of species…
However, we as individuals can slow down global warming by implementing small more sustainable actions within our community. To reduce climate change, we should change our daily habbits through 6 simple actions that can result in big changes.
The usage of a car is followed by CO2 emissions and expenses. Infact every kilometer that you increase your speed will considerably increase CO2 emissions and expenses. According to the CE, each liter of fuel that your car uses, equals 2.5 kilos of CO2 emitted into the atmosphere.
As a result use your car less, whenever possible. Use sustainable transportation, such as bicycling, or use public transportation more often. In the case of long-distance travel, trains are more sustainable than airplanes^. They cause a great deal of the CO2 emitted into the atmosphere.
Leaving our house-hold appliances running or on stand-by causes us energy and money.
Always adjust the thermostat for heating and air conditioning. By being careful how we use home appliances, we can save energy and, of course, money at the end of the month.
3 R’s of sustainability
– Reduce: consume less, more efficiently.
– Reuse: prefer buying from second-hand markets, give new life to items that you don’t use anymore or find something that someone else has gotten rid of that you need. At the end you’ll be saving money and reducing your consumption. Bartering is also a practical solution.
– Recycle: packaging, waste from electronics, etc. Did you know that you can save over 730 kilos of CO2 each year just by recycling half of the garbage produced at home?
Low carbon food
A low-carbon diet results in smarter consumption:
– Less meat, more fruit and veggies.
– Chose local food and one in season : read the label and eat food that is produced in the area, avoid imports which create more emissions due to transportation. Also, eat seasonal items, to avoid less sustainable production methods.
– Avoid excessive packaging and processed foods as much as possible.
Respond to forest loss
– Avoid fire hazardus things.
– Choose wood with a certification or seal showing its sustainable origin.
– Plant a tree! Throughout its life, it can absorb up to a ton of CO2.
Demand more from the government
Demand measures for a more sustainable life. Promote renewable energy, regulatory measures such as properly labelling products , promote more sustainable public transportation, promote the use of bicycles and other non-polluting transportation methods in the city, correctly manage waste through recycling/reuse, etc….